Saturday 4 September 2010

So, What Do You Do?

My first post... Yay!

People meet for the first time or the first time in a long time at a social gathering and after 4 minutes maximum comes the dreaded question, "So, what do you do"? or the typical "Where do you work now"?

I cannot but wonder why it is so important for someone I do not know or haven't seen in a long time find that piece of information important. Is it about finding out what we have in common, plain curiosity or just being nosy and somewhere in our sub-conscious does that information sometimes determine if we will keep in touch? or is everything now about 'networking' and seeing what we can possibly gain from our association with the other person. What happened to those days when we meet people and just like them, make friends and ask questions later. Oh, how I miss them! It didn't matter what your job title was then. 

Speaking of job titles, I have come across some interesting ones recently, why does the job title have to be so complicated when the job isn't? Please find listed those I find most interesting and see if you can guess the answers....

1. Hygiene Facilitation Operative

2. Strategic Pipeline Analyst

3. Director of First Impressions (My best!)

ANSWERS

1. Cleaner

2. Plumber

3. Receptionist

Now to this funny cartoon, I couldn't have put the words better!






1 comment:

  1. lol this is really funny, i've got another one for you
    Glass Technician - window cleaner
    and yup he was a real person we got real interested thinking he blew glass or something like that.
    As per people asking what jobs they do, I guess it gives you more things to talk about e.g. when i tell people my husband is an economist that is a serious conversation stopper because he sees the world in equations.

    ReplyDelete